Google

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Case report: erythropoietins affecting HbA1c in a diabetic not on dialysis


In this case report, they authors describe an interaction between two erythropoietins and haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels in a diabetic patient not on dialysis.

Some evidence suggests that treatment with erythropoietins can reduce HbA1c levels in patients on haemodialysis, however this has not previously been reported in non-dialysed patients. They authors describe a case in which this effect occurred in a diabetic patient not on dialysis and resulted in a prolonged period of under-treatment of his diabetes.

The patient was a male aged 64 with long-standing insulin-treated type 2 diabetes and chronic renal failure, amongst other problems. He presented with severe anaemia (Hb 4.4gm/100ml) and was treated with epoetin. His HbA1c level subsequently fell, and his insulin dose reduced in consequence. His most recent stable pre-admission insulin dose was 156 units daily with no hypoglycaemic episodes. Subsequent management involved home-based darbepoetin: his HbA1c level was consistently in the range 4.4 to 5.8 and his daily insulin dose was reduced to 22 units daily: this was despite raised blood glucose levels and no hypoglycaemic episodes. After 31 months, he started haemodialysis and the darbepoetin stopped: after three months, his HbA1c rose to 8.8%.

The authors conclude that in this case, treatment with erythropoietin resulted in a falsely reduced HbA1c level, and that the patient’s insulin dose would have been managed differently without this. The effect was seen with both epoetin and darbepoetin, and can thus be considered a class effect. Healthcare professionals treating diabetic patients should be aware of agents that can affect HbA1c levels, and that in patients receiving erythropoietins diabetes should be controlled on the basis of blood glucose levels and hypo- or hyper-glycaemic episodes rather than on HbA1c alone.

Pharmacotherapy 2009; 29: 468-72 (link to abstract); from Medscape, 8th July 2009 (free registration required)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Slow Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Rapidly Search Movies, Games, MP3 Singles, Applications & Download Them @ Accelerated Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new here, I came upon this forum I have found It very helpful and its helped me loads. I should be able to give something back & support other people like its helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See You Around.

Anonymous said...

Finally the future of harmless smoking is here! It looks, feels & tasts like a real cigarette but it's not a traditional cigarette. It's called an e cig People who already have experienced this incredible smokeless device are astonished by it's performance which contains No Tar,Ash,Odor or Secondhand Smoke.

[URL=http://www.electroniccig.com][B]electric cigarette[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Hello,
We are very pleased to announce the membership pre-registration launch of AllDayGiveaways.Com!
To begin our membership drive, we are offering a free 16gb WiFi iPad sweepstakes. It is free to enter - just pre-register at www.alldaygiveaways.com.

[URL=http://www.alldaygiveaways.com][B]free contests[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i am fresh to this, I came upon this website I find It very useful and its helped me loads. I hope to contribute & support other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm fresh here, I came upon this chat board I have found It exceedingly accessible & it's helped me a great deal. I hope to contribute & guide other users like it has helped me.

Thank You, See You About.

Anonymous said...

Howdy i'm new on here, I came accross this message board I have found It positively accommodating and it has helped me alot. I should be able to give something back & guide others like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm fresh on here, I hit upon this site I find It positively useful & its helped me out loads. I should be able to contribute and help other users like its helped me.

Thank's, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

Hey im new to this, I hit upon this forum I find It incredibly accommodating & its helped me out loads. I hope to give something back and assist others like its helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Later

Anonymous said...

Hi i am fresh here. I came accross this forum I have found It extremely accommodating and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give something back and aid other people like its helped me.

Cheers all, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening im fresh here. I came upon this board I find It very helpful & its helped me out loads. I should be able to give something back & aid other people like it has helped me.

Thank's, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]rwAtiLMYVEwmWDPIR[/url] - MPhgz , http://hhmgziigpu.com

Anonymous said...

The North Experience can be a company that focuses on outdoor [url=http://www.thenorthfaceonlinestore.org/womens-north-face-denali-jackets-c-75_79.html]cheap north face denali jackets[/url] and equipments. They cater not just to the critical athletes and sports individuals but additionally to people who possibly just wants to retain their bodies healthy, or to those that need to experience the wilderness as weekend campers and only enjoy the lovely scenery from the land. What was then a mere retail retail store has now develop into an international model, with [url=http://www.thenorthfaceonlinestore.org/mens-north-face-denali-jackets-c-83_86.html]north face denali on sale[/url] in virtually every continent, and reliable across the world for innovation inside their items, and delivering good quality outfits and accessories for that savvy outdoorsman or maybe the health-conscious buff.

Anonymous said...

Just one reason why people choose to shop at an outlet store than in any store is the [url=http://www.thenorthfaceonlinestore.org/womens-north-face-denali-jackets-c-75_79.html]cheap north face denali jackets[/url] top quality and originality. The brand is a victim of counterfeiting by small companies who take advantage in the brand's popularity. On the other hand, an outside enthusiast can effortlessly point out [url=http://www.thenorthfaceonlinestore.org/womens-north-face-denali-jackets-c-75_79.html]cheap north face denali jackets[/url] differences in high quality and overall performance.

Anonymous said...

Eхсellent post! Wе aгe linking to thiѕ
particulaгly greаt content on ouг site.
Keeρ uρ the great writing.

Also viѕit my blog - buy xenadrine with ephedra

Anonymous said...

check this link, VzClTWWn [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/]replica designer purses[/URL] , for special offer nKcapdRP [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ ] http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ [/URL]